Monday, January 5, 2015

Music Mondays: Charli XCX "Breaking Up"



I first heard of British singer Charli XCX when my favorite band, Kitten, opened for her in Fall 2013. I couldn't make it to their LA stop, but I didn't pay much mind to Charli and her punk sound. Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed! If anything, I was bummed Kitten wasn't the headliner!

That is, until Charli XCX's sophomore album, Sucker, was released in December 2014. No one was more surprised than me that this formally so-so singer (IMHO) managed to score one of the best pop albums of the year. And don't just take my word for it--even Rolling Stone agrees! I'm still digging on her previous single "Break the Rules," but her video for "Breaking Up" is even more fun. There is this wonderful late 70's/early 80's vibe that this punk-pop star possesses, and the video reflects it perfectly. It's silly, it's cheesy, it's catchy, and it knows it. She gets all Grease 2 up in this video, and for me, that's a selling point.

This song in particular reminds me of The Runaways (think "Hollywood"). I mean, I did a 180 with this girl. It's good to start off the new year with some fun, and Charli XCX is here to deliver.

Artist: Charli XCX
Song: "Breaking Up" | download | stream
Album: Sucker
Directed by: BRTHR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...