Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tackling the AFI Top 100

Buster Keaton in Sherlock Jr. (1924)

I've been thinking for some time now about finding a project. Something that would be consistent and challenge me to commit every week to either writing or developing some other skill.  And since it's been ages since I've written a creative or critical word, I think that it's time I give this lifelong goal a whirl...

Weekly viewings of the AFI TOP 100 Movies, beginning with #100 and working down to #1.

This potentially two year endeavor will be a challenge.  My tendency to fall of the face of the internet-world is legendary at this point, but I don't care.  For as long as I can keep this going, I hope to examine all of the films on this list -- whether they are worthy of such praise, if they truly are "must sees", or if they'll even be on that updated 2017 AFI 20th Anniversary Edition list.

I've challenged all my friends to join me in checking off every movie on this list (over the past 20+ years, I've managed to watch 94/100) with weekly movie nights that will prove to be the bane of everyone's existence, I'm sure.

What I find so compelling about the AFI list is just how fallible it is -- how flexible its evolution, and how debatable its rankings.  It's this that I look forward to discussing in what will hopefully become a weekly review of each film as we tick our way to the "best" movie of all time.

Follow along with my soon-to-be updated list here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...