Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Grab Those Boot Straps, Girl



I have the hardest time getting back up again after something small, but super-duper crappy happens. This morning I got into the tiniest fender-bender in the history of the world -- my fault, sadly. Too much on my mind, mixed with stop and go traffic... Mistakes were made.

Now my morning is in a funk. I'm not hurt (no one was, thankfully), but my sails have no more wind. My head is swimming at the thought of insurance rate hikes, back and forths with my agent, and all the ego-damage that goes with messing up.

What is it about that last one that makes us want to curl up in a ball and throw in the towel on our entire day (or week)? In the end, I can get over the marring of my driving record. I should be able to shake off the feeling that my day is ruined and not succumb to hanging my head and telling all my co-workers "Leave me alone, can't you see how bummed I am?"

As I type this, I'm trying to crawl out of that place. It doesn't do me or anyone else any good to wallow. Making people feel sorry for me and my (incredibly trivial) woes won't make it all go away.

I don't have a good strategy for letting things go. Some people do, and I admire them that. Me, I just want to overcome this downer like a dog shaking off water. Writing about it might be the best way to do that.

Okay, Kim, that's enough. Grab those boot straps and snap out of it!

{photo via Emily J Jepson}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...