Monday, September 15, 2014

Music Mondays: 30 Seconds to Mars "Closer to the Edge"



I felt compelled to do a bit of a throwback Music Monday today, looking to just a few years ago: my favorite music video of 2010, "Closer to the Edge" by 30 Seconds to Mars. This song - and subsequently, the video - entered my life during a really emotional point for me personally. I listened to it over and over and over again, pretty much to the point where it transcended everything and brought me a lot of strength.

It's been a long time since I played that song out for myself (or "killed it" as I like to say) -- but this weekend, it found its way into my playlist rotation once again. Remembering how distant that time feels, and how foreign those feels feel -- yet the song brings everything up again. Not in a bad way, but in a powerful way. A lot has changed in four years.

The music video is also one of my favorites of all time. A bit loaded with unifying message, as Leto's band tends to do, but it is easily the best edited, 'live concert'/docu-footage video I've ever seen. Show me one that's better and you will be my new favorite person (and the Cubbins-directed video for the band's song "Do or Die" last year doesn't count, since it's essentially a sequel to "Closer").

So today, I share "Closer to the Edge" from the brilliant This Is War album. Both song and video hit the spot and light a spark of much-needed energy.

Artist: 30 Seconds to Mars
Song: "Closer to the Edge" | download stream
Album: This Is War
Directed By: Bartholomew Cubbins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...