Saturday, September 6, 2014

To Makeup or Not Makeup


A strange thing happened this past week. For the first time in my adult life, I forgot to put on my 'face' of makeup before going into work. Not once, not twice, but three days this week.

I'm a girl who always wished I didn't "need" makeup -- and I understand that the word "need" is pretty nebulous. But I've grown accustomed to my routine of fresh-faced powder foundation, pink blush, and a touch of mascara. Lips vary (my sister gave me the most beautiful pink-red lipstick as a bridesmaids gift that I'm loving at the moment), and my Burt's Bee Pomegranate Lip Balm is never more than an arm's reach away. Sometimes winged cat-eye liner finds its way in there, too, though I'm on a decidedly "no eye liner" kick this summer.

Phases come and trends go, but I've always stood firmly in the "Yes to makeup" column - for myself. Not only can it make me feel put together and glamorous, it's also pretty darn fun. And yet, this week, as I prepped outfits and hair for the day, my makeup... well, I just forgot to put any on.

And you know what? I didn't really care. I found myself looking in my mirror in the bathroom thinking, "Huh, you look pretty good today!" never even realizing I didn't have a hint of makeup on my face.

Does this happen to makeup wearers at some point in life? Maybe it's just a minimalist phase? Or perhaps I'm caring less.

I don't plan on giving up my precious makeup entirely, but it's sort of a nice feeling to know I could go without it. Even if just for an 8-hour work day.

(image via rachel.haenni)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...